Writing a wedding toast is a challenge to many, and finding the right quote for the occasion is often equally challenging. Rather than (not literally) tearing your hair out over what you want to say, check out the following 10 quotes and get inspired! Remember, the toast doesn’t have to be long–like these quotes, keep it short and sweet!
1) “My heart is ever at your service.” –William Shakespeare
The Bard knew a thing or two about writing a romantic line, and this option is ideal for a bride or groom looking to toast their brand-new spouse. It manages to capture the optimism of the day and serve as a declaration of continued love, devotion and commitment. Beautiful.
2) “It is written, when children find true love, parents find true joy. Here’s to your joy and ours from this day forward.”–Unknown
An ideal quote for the father of the bride, this quote is the perfect way for Dad to end his toast. After all, the parents are just as emotional as their kiddies on this special day!
3) “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
This quote works well as advice for the bride and groom so they may always enjoy wedded bliss. Marriage takes work, and this is a gentle reminder that a union is about having the same goals and growing old together.
4) “May she share everything with her husband, including the housework.” –Unknown
It’s pretty common these days for husbands and wives to share everything–including the dishes. This quote will surely get laughs, and also reminds everyone that this isn’t the 1950s, darnit!
5) “Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful and endures through every circumstance.”-1 Corinthians 13:7
Another lovely message, a quote like this from the New Testament emphasizes the deep spiritual nature of this union. It’s ideal for a religious ceremony!
6)“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” –Socrates
One of many quotes by the ultimate Greek philosopher, this is another quote sure to elicit laughs. The perfect balance of wit and wisdom, it’s a great option for parents, friends or the Best Man.
7)“Sexiness wears thin after a while, and beauty fades. But to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that’s a real treat.” –Joanne Woodward
The lovely Ms. Woodward was married to Paul Newman for four decades, and we all know the actor was one of the most beautiful men, well, ever. He famously said of her, “I have steak at home. Why go out for hamburger?” and their marriage is proof that even Hollywood unions can last. It’s a perfect quote for a bridesmaid toast.
8) There’s nothing more admirable than two people who see eye to eye keeping house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends. –Homer
The Greek poet Homer penned (or spoke) these words some 3,000 years ago, and they remain as true today as they ever did. This quote works for anyone giving a toast, and speaks to what makes a happy marriage.
9) “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” -Mignon McLaughlin
This quote serves as a fantastic reminder that marriage takes persistence, and that you’re not going to be super-duper in love with the person every day. It works for anyone making a toast.
10) “Grow old with me. The best is yet to be — the last of life for which the first was made.” -Robert Browning
Borrow this poet’s quote and talk about how the best is yet to come! Children, shared goals, limitless possibilities…it’s all there.