A best man speech does not have to be (and should not be) too serious. Some of the greatest best man speeches are funny best man speeches.
In this article, we want to tell you more about when to use humor in your best man speech. You can find examples of great jokes and anecdotes right here.
As always, we will also give you some guidelines to use when you are writing your speech. Let us show you how to make ‘em laugh!
- The Ultimate Guide to Wedding Speeches & Toasts. Our go-to guide.
- Groom’s Speech. Deliver an amazing Groom wedding speech. Groom speech examples.
- Best Man Speech. Create an awesome best man speech. Example best man speeches.
- Maid of Honor Speeches. Great maid of honor speech. Example maid of honor speeches.
- Father of the Bride Speech. A heartfelt father of bride speech. Example father speeches.
- Sample Toasts & Speech Quotes. One liners, funny quotes, love parables and much more.
- Recent Wedding Speech Posts. Latest blog posts about wedding speeches and toasts.
Getting the Structure Down
Funny best man speeches can largely follow the same structure as other best man speeches:
- Have a good joke to start.
- Introduce yourself and tell your relationship with the groom.
- More jokes or funny anecdotes about the groom.
- Talk about details you know about the couple.
- Compliment the bride.
- Be serious about the ceremony, the day, and offer well wishes for the couple.
- Offer the toast.
When to Use Humor
Using humor in your speech can be done at any time. Except, that is, near the very end when you get serious about the bride, ceremony, and/or couple. Even after that serious bit, right before the toast, you can insert another joke that is in good taste. We highly recommend at least one joke at the beginning.
This helps to break the ice. For some best men if can even help to quell any nerves that you may be having. Making people laugh can be a great way to boost your confidence and set the tone. Also do try to insert at least one funny anecdote and/or joke targeted at the groom. Doing so is expected in most best man speeches.
Funny Best Man Speeches You Can Use
Mark’s a great friend who is always looking out for me. For example, the reason he choose me to be best man was to improve my chances with the bridesmaids. He also told me not to speak for more than three minutes – so he’s looking after your interests too.
Believe it or not, I’ve actually already congratulated the groom. ‘Nick,’ I said to him, “Great job! You will always look back on today as the happiest of your life.
Most likely, this is the best thing you’ve ever done.” Fitting words, I thought, at the end of a wild bachelor’s party.
I am doing better than expected in fulfilling my role as Fred’s best man. So far, I’ve managed to get him to the ceremony on time. That’s unusual for Fred – both going to church and not being late.
He also arrived sober, a true achievement on my part. And while a bit of the polish may have faded at this point, just a bit earlier this afternoon he was looking very smart. Something that, with Fred, is totally unheard of.
One More Example of a Great Funny Best Man Speeches
When Luke asked me to be his best man, I had a few questions. What had I done to achieve such an honor? Had everybody else said no, or had all his other friends left town? And, more importantly, could I also refuse and still get an invitation to come in order to take advantage of the free alcohol? It was a risk I was not willing to take.
Before I start, the manager asked me to ensure that the aisles and fire exits are kept clear during the reception. There’s a group of EMTs waiting outside the building. We need to be sure they have a clear pathway for when Clarence is presented with the final wedding bill.