Fashion trends come and go, and wedding dresses are no exception. As 2012 fades further into the past, we’re looking to the immediate future: spring 2013. New York’s bridal fashion week gave us a great look into what the season could hold, as designers showcased one beautiful creation after another. While there were a number of innovative and fun designs, some specific trends to look for in spring 2013 include:
1. Lace – It may have a long history in weddings, but today’s lace is nothing like your grandmother’s. Lace Nouveau offers a fresh take on the floral, graphic pattern and incorporates it into dresses in a way that feels modern and sexy while maintaining its soft and romantic style.
2. Color – White continues to reign as the number-one hue for brides, but colored dresses are certainly making headway this spring, with designs ranging from deep red to subtle blush tones, floral prints, and even black. According to Brides Fashion Director Rachel Leonard, the key to wearing a colored wedding gown is to make sure it still looks like a wedding dress. “The trick is to find a color that’s flattering to your skin tone, and not everyone looks great in white.”
3. Peplum – This sculptural silhouette has long been a mainstay on couture runways and has recently been having a surge in popularity throughout the fashion world, so it’s no wonder peplum has made its way into wedding gown design. 2013’s bridal fashion shows featured a number of gowns with peplums ranging from highly structured and architectural to soft and draped.
4. Portrait backs – It seems that the dominance of strapless gowns is being challenged, as open back designs have gained ground and were seen on several runways in NYC’s bridal fashion week. Featuring intricate and delicate designs made of lace, sheer fabric, and/or beading, these dresses are sexy but still modest.
5. Sleeves – Princess Kate (or Duchess Katherine, if you want to be politically correct) continues to have an impact on wedding dresses around the world, with many brides opting for sleeved designs. While more demure, these sleeves can be made of sheer fabric with delicate embroideries to modernize the look.
Of course, dresses aren’t the only wedding trends coming for spring 2013. Invitations are getting a makeover too with neon accents, patterns, and embossed metallic script. On the other hand, wedding color palettes are taking a turn to neutral gray, blush, and cream colors.
Samantha Hunt works at eInvite.com, an online retailer of party invites, modern wedding invitations, save-the-dates, birth announcements and other custom paper goods. Visit the eInvite profile for more information on available products.