As fun as weddings are, they’re expensive. Like, really expensive. However, it’s entirely possible to cut costs and avoid blowing your budget. Check out a few ideas:
1) Trim the guest list–this saves on food, drinks, invitations, stamps, chair rentals….
2) Go off-season and save thousands!
3) Have the ceremony and the reception at the same location–this cuts travel time for vendors being paid by the hour.
4) Pick a day other than Saturday.
5) Use bigger tables and spend less on centerpieces and tablecloths.
6) Shop off-season for extra décor–purchase items after holiday and save big!
7) Use more greenery than flowers.
8) Skip the expensive flowers–for example, peonies are often five times more expensive than roses!
9) Purchase in-season flowers.
10) Opt for one or two types of blooms only.
11) Go for non-florals, such as lanterns.
Food and Drink
12) Serve entrée duets.
13) Skip the main course and serve appetizers and drinks instead.
14) Provide beer, wine and a signature cocktail instead of a full bar.
15) Opt for comfort food such as chicken, corn and mac ‘n cheese. It’s both fun and cheap!
16) Forget the champagne toast.
17) Go simple with add-ons.
18) Order a small one or two-tiered cake and supplement it with a large sheet cake.
19) Use fresh instead of sugar flowers.
20) Don’t use exotic fillings such as mango and guava.
21) Reuse ceremony flowers on the cake table.
Stationary and Favors
22) Save on postage with single-page invites.
23) Provide one favor per couple.
24) Email save-the-dates.
25) Use your cake for favors.
26) Create your own menu cards, escort cards and wedding favor packaging.
Photos, Videos and Music
27) Know a photographer you really love? Inquire about an associate who will shoot your wedding for less.
28) Use a smaller band.
29) Create your own iPod playlist instead of hiring a band.
30) Hire a band/DJ to work the ceremony as well as the reception.