Are you throwing a shower and looking for something a little out-of-the-ordinary? While the traditional kitchen and linens showers are still appropriate for many brides, a growing number of women walking down the aisle already have established households. So what do you do when the bride really doesn’t need another toaster, but you still want to get together with friends and family to celebrate an upcoming wedding?
One very non-traditional bridal shower themes is, of course, the gift-less shower, which is becoming very popular these days. Many couples just don’t need the help to set up a new home like they once did. These showers can still bring the guests together for a fun afternoon of wedding chatter. Games can be played and food served. You may need to get a bit more creative with the planning so you’ll be sure to fill up time when the bride would normally open gifts.
Is the idea of guests showing up empty handed not for you? Instead, try one of these non-traditional themes, perhaps taking your cues from the bride’s interests or hobbies. A few ideas:
- Garden Party – This theme works well if you’re having an outdoor gathering, but you can also bring the garden inside by using potted plants or flowers as centerpieces and giving seed packet favors. Give the plants away as prizes or as favors to save money, plus you won’t have a dozen centerpieces to find homes for afterwards. Your games can be garden-themed as well – try putting a tablespoon of different flower and vegetable seeds into sealed bags and passing them around to quiz the guests’ gardening know-how. Serve fresh fruits and vegetables, either grown in your own garden or purchased at the local farmers’ market. Encourage the bride to register for gardening tools and supplies at the local home store, and if guests call you for gift ideas, suggest potted plants, seeds, gardening tools and gadgets.
- Travel Shower – This is a great theme if the couple loves to travel! It can be tied in with the honeymoon destination, if one is planned, or it can focus on other places the couple hopes to visit. For a really unique touch, create invitations that look like boarding passes. Decorate in keeping with the featured locale, and consider serving cuisine from that part of the world. If the bride has already travelled extensively, games could test the group’s knowledge of the places she has visited, perhaps even using some of her own travel photos. Put together a scrap book (with plenty of room for the couple to add photos later) and encourage guests to jot down their travel advice. Ideas for an on-the-go bridal registry can range from luggage pieces to travel mugs.
- Arts and Crafts Shower – Is the bride-to-be crafty? If so, maybe this is the shower theme for her! Whether she is a quilter, scrap booker, painter, or something in between, artists and artisans never have enough supplies and equipment. Plan a simple project that anyone can do, and buy enough supplies so that guests can try their hand at the bride’s favorite hobby, thus creating their own party favor. Mix them up and let the bride (and her mother, maid of honor, flower girl, etc.) pick her favorite, and award that person a prize. Ask the bride ahead of time if she wants to lead the instruction; if not, go through the process several times yourself so that you’re ready for any questions.
- Western Theme Shower – Host a country themed couples shower in honor of both the bride and groom. Invite couples to wear farmer’s clothes like overalls, blue jeans, bandanas and cowboy hats. Use hay bales for seats, fruit jars with handles for drinks, burlap tablecloths and food served in pie tins. A fun game for this theme is The Newlywed Game, which is perfect for any theme couples’ shower. Other couples shower themes:
1. Couple’s Home Improvement
2. Couple’s Backyard Shower – Hosted outdoors with gifts for the backyard.
3. Multicultural Shower – If the bride and groom are of different ethnic backgrounds. Play How To Say I Love You game.
List your ideas for non-traditional bridal shower themes by posting a comment below.