The mother of the bride is not always expected to give a speech. But in absence of the father of the bride, the honor often falls to the mother.
If this is the case at your daughter’s wedding, you might be wondering what to say. In this article, we will offer you a few ideas. Follow our easy-to-use structure.
Or use our mother of the bride speech example and make it your own. Lastly, we will tell you where you can find more help on writing your speech and quelling your fears, if needed.
Structure for a Great Speech
Crafting your speech does not have to be difficult. If you are not sure where to start, follow this structure:
- Welcome everyone, including the in-laws;
- Talk about preparing for the wedding; this is the first chance to make everybody laugh a bit
- If you are making this speech in place of the absent father, mention why, and some details of the relationship between father and bride; here you can use some jokes
- Talk a bit about the bride. Mention how proud and happy you are for her;
- Mention some details of the relationship;
- Offer up your toast.
- The Ultimate Guide to Wedding Speeches & Toasts. Our go-to guide.
- Groom’s Speech. Deliver an amazing Groom wedding speech. Groom speech examples.
- Best Man Speech. Create an awesome best man speech. Example best man speeches.
- Maid of Honor Speeches. Great maid of honor speech. Example maid of honor speeches.
- Father of the Bride Speech. A heartfelt father of bride speech. Example father speeches.
- Sample Toasts & Speech Quotes. One liners, funny quotes, love parables and much more.
- Recent Wedding Speech Posts. Latest blog posts about wedding speeches and toasts.
Mother of the Bride Speech Example
Good afternoon, everyone. Welcome! I am Sheila, mother of the bride, Melissa. I would just like to thank everyone for coming today. Especially those who have traveled a long way. We could not be more honored by your presence here to celebrate this wonderful day.
Melissa, ever since you were a little girl, I have looked forward to this day. I know your father has, as well. If he could be here today, I am sure he would mention just how like an angel you look. You know just how much he always loved you, and I am sure he is watching from above.
Well, the last week or so has been really busy for me. So much has been done! Who knew a wedding could be so busy? But seeing today, I know it was all worth it. Melissa is absolutely beaming. And Rich, you are, too. Do not think I did not notice!
From the first time I met Rich, I knew that Melissa loved him more than anything else in the world. Most of us can only wish for a relationship as wonderful as theirs. I wish you both the best of luck together. May your lives as one be happy, healthy, prosperous, and long. If everyone would please join me in a toast to Rich and Melissa.
Showing Your Daughter You Love Her
Why is a speech for the mother of the bride so important? Having a great speech for the occasion can show your daughter just how much you love her.
It can also be a place to remind everyone of her relationship with her late father. Or it can serve to delight her when her father just cannot bring himself to craft a good speech. Either way, it will show your daughter just how much you love her and how happy you are to see this day. Celebrate this day with the new couple with a great speech!
Are you nervous? Afraid you might forget the words? Not sure if you can do it in front of all those people? Still do not know what to write to be witty and funny? Check out our Total Guide to Wedding Speeches & Toasts.