Gone are the days of one-hairstyle-fits-all brides, and we can officially bid adieu to outdated tight up-dos with cascading curls. In 2014, more than anything, we saw brides push the envelope on weddding-day looks, playing with different styles and opting for soft, tousled locks, faux bobs, braids and more.
Here are a few of our favorite looks from 2014:
1. BRAIDS WERE BIG: To the side, to the back, at the crown, at the nape of the neck. Whether incorporated into an up-do or nestled within flowing waves for added interest, braids were on brides’ brains last year. Ethereal and fairy-like, an outdoor wedding beckons for a billowing braid.
2. FABULOUS FAUX BOB: The faux bob was bouncing around both Hollywood and bridal glamour last year. If you’re wanting the soft look of down hair but don’t want it blowing in the wind or weighing down your neck, this is the way to go. It has an old-time, Great Gatsby feel that begs for hair accessories. Expect this trend to get even hotter in 2015.
3. SIDE-SWEPT CURLS: The asymmetry of this sweeping hairstyle is stunning. It feels regal, finished and classic — perfect if you want your hair down yet want to showcase the detail of the back of your gown.
4. SOFT HOLLYWOOD GLAM: Uber feminine and romantic, this old-Hollywood style screams elegant affair, making it a go-to look for both celebs and brides last year. (Jenny McCarthy rocked a similar do at her nuptials.) The smooth bends gently frame the face and call for a bold lip. Hello, black tie chic.
5. LOW BUNS: Perhaps the most popular look of the year was (and continues to be) the low bun. Parted, teased, to the side, to the back, knotted, woven or loosely nested — no matter how you tie them, buns are the hairstyle to beat in 2015.