The Master of Ceremonies plays a big role in managing “flow” throughout the wedding. For example, he — or she — needs to make sure everyone’s found their place in the receiving line after the wedding, ask all the guests to take their seats once everyone’s passed through, and introduce the bride and groom as they enter the room.
Another important duty that falls to the MC: introducing each speaker who’s agreed to present a wedding speech. If you’re the MC, here’s your general order for introducing everyone who’ll give a speech or toast:
First, introduce everyone at the head table to rest of the seated guests.
Then, introduce the first person will deliver the first speech and toast to the Bride and Groom — usually an old family friend or relative.
Now introduce the Groom, who will “accept” the previous speech for himself and his bride, then present a speech and toast to the Bridesmaids and the Maid of Honor.
Next, introduce the Best Man who will “accept” the speech made by the groom on behalf of the bridesmaids, and make his own speech addressing the parent’s of the Bride and Groom. The Brides’s father delivers a reply, followed by the Groom’s father.
Finally, as MC, you offer a short speech and toast to any absent family and friends who couldn’t attend the wedding.
Once the main speeches end, the Master of Ceremonies can then open up the floor for any further speeches or toasts by the guests (this step is optional — and not always recommended, especially if guests are tapping their toes in hopes of dinner).
Along with keeping the speeches in order, the MC should also try to keep them brief — ideally, no more than 3 to 4 minutes each.
More Wedding Speech & Toast Resources:
- Ultimate guide to wedding speeches and toasts
- Groom’s Speech. Writing and delivering a wedding speech. See Groom speech examples.
- Best Man Speech. Create an awesome best man speech. With example speeches too.
- Maid of Honor Speeches. How to come up with a great maid of honor speech. Example speeches.
- Father of the Bride Speech. Your daughter’s getting married. Includes examples.
- Example Toasts & Speech Quotes. One liners, funny quotes, love parables and more.
- Top Wedding Speech & Toasts Blog Posts. The latest blog posts about wedding speeches.