Finding a stunning unique wedding reception location is a huge part of establishing your wedding theme. Since the reception generally follows the theme you’ve carefully established in your stationary and ceremony, you’ll typically want to plan it around the same ideas, though this isn’t written in stone. Regardless, aim to make the reception a place to ‘let loose’ … and let go of any stiffness or ultra-formality you might have seen in the ceremony.
Unique wedding receptions usually begin with an unusual, creative location. A drab and lackluster venue, no matter how well it’s decorated, probably won’t ‘wow’ your guests. But a unique setting will inspire you to create wonderful ideas, ‘break out of the box’ … and create something totally your own.
No matter where you choose to host your reception, there are essential details you need to look after when planning:
1. Weather / Environment — is the wedding reception inside or out?
2. Setup — Is this a non-traditional location? Will it have enough power for the entertainment? Enough parking space for guests? Also consider distance — most guests don’t want to drive into the deep woods to attend your reception.
3. Cleanup, setup — Most ‘traditional’ wedding reception venues have cleanup in place. Be sure to ask about this when selecting the venue. Otherwise, you may need to draw on family and friends to help with this aspect.
4. Theme — Does the location fit the theme you chose for your wedding. Keep in mind, you don’t need a wedding theme, but it does help keep things on track.
5. Wow Value — Does the location invoke ‘wows’ from friends? Take a small group of friends there, and ask them what they think.
Truly Unique Wedding Reception Locations
Cleared corn fields. Now don’t laugh! I’ve seen a stunning Western wedding theme done up perfectly in a cornfield clearing. Complete with rented gazebos, a fire pit and a country-western band for entertainment, the event went off perfectly.
Sports Venues. Why not host your reception at your favorite sports venue, if you’re a sports fan? Theme the reception with football, golf or baseball favors.
High Rise Roof. A wedding reception on the top of a city skyscraper can be both exhilarating and memorable, although this might be on the ‘pricy side’ depending on where you live.
More common wedding reception locations include barns, gardens / display gardens, ranches, beaches. Since the wedding reception is only limited by your imagination, take the time to sit down and really brainstorm some great ideas. It’ll be well worth it in the end!